Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
help needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: help needed please Reply with quote

hi there.....we do have most behaviour things down to a tee but got a couple of things i would appreciate any tips on.

firstly - alfie is still atrocious with other dogs...not in an aggressive way at all just completely over the top excited. firstly he'll see the dog coming and start doing the sort of stalking thing where he's focussed right in, then he'll lie flat on the ground in a submissive way but now with most dogs once they get within a metre of them he'll jump up and pounce just trying to play but he is basically like a bucking bronco on a lead. he used to be similar with people (mainly cos everyone stops to talk to him so he just assumes they should ALL come and pet him) but we did the whole make him sit, focus on me then once person passed we walked on and he got a treat. recently hes not been as good but i think its just lack of practice and a bit of overexcitement since hes had v little exercise recently but hes settling again. however dogs he's always been the same and no treat i have tried or toy or noise or anything will get his focus off the dog. its so bad that if a dog is behind us (even 20 metres or so) he wont walk for trying to pull back the way.

secondly - we're back to trying to eat everything off the ground again. now its crab apples and berries mainly. he'll do leave iin the house. i can put food down and get him to leave it, throw treats around or at him and tell him to leave and he wont take them, he'll leave his toys not bad when we're playing but outside it all means nothing. ive stood on him so many times recently cos hes been darting back and forward trying to pick things up. yesterday i pulled him away from something at least 10 times and every time he tried to go straight back. ive tried to stop dragging him away but making him walk away from it but its hard work when he tries to pick up every 2nd thing!!

so yeah.....long story but basically wondering if anyone had any ideas before i strangle the poor thing!!

(he's currently in his crate right now (which is now punishment since its not used as a bed anymore and its the only way of stopping him hurting himself) cos he just did a mad run around the room up and down off couches etc, would have scaled the walls if he could have, and wouldnt stop....guess the legs feeling better then!!!!)

im sure at one point he was well behaved Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We feel your pain Lesley, LOL
Looking forward to sharing the replies

Alice , Susan and Tia

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Alfie is getting excited seeing another dog........he then gets to meet it.

Set up a 'meeting' with someone you know who has a dog and patience......as you approach each other when Alfie starts to get agitated turn and go in the other direction........only head toward the other dog when he is calm.....if he gets excited go away from the other dog.

This should teach him that calm gets to see the other dog...excited does not. I may take a while but should be far more effective than any attempts to correct with a leash as I I do not think that would work whilst he is agitated.

Hope that made sense?

John
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah makes sense. Will See if can find suitable dog. Have found myself last couple days just avoiding other dogs for an easy life but I know that will just make it all the worse. Let u know how it goes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: