Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Muffy and her paw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Muffy and her paw Reply with quote

Hey,

So Muffy has been licking her left paw now for as long as I can remember. We've noticed over sometime one of her nails was becoming dis formed but put it down to her constant biting licking. At the paws in the park event I was on, I took her for a free health check and the vet said her nail had become infected. He advised she needed antibiotics and possibly could result in the need to go under ga to have it removed, but he would want to avoid that because of her age. Went to condorrot pretty much same verdict and she has been on a course of antibiotics for a week. the vet seemed keen for her to have the op. Wasnt concerned about her age or the reason it has all just come about, when she has been licking the paw for years. She also discussed the possibility of having to remove sections if it has become infected (ie, toes)

Saw another vet today at condorrot and although not the best verdict feeling much better about things now. She showed real concern over Muffin had a really good look at it and had a good talk to me about her. She says she agrees she would want to avoid GA so has given me stronger antibiotics for a week. She also thinks there may be something underlying causing all this and her licking for so long. She reckons there may be a possibility she has tumors in her paw which have caused the nail to split and become infected, and which is now the reason its not healing. So if these antibiotics dont have an affect as well as my new cleaning routine for her she should be going for an x-ray so we can see whats actually going on. Then we can also see how far the infection has spread and decide the right course of action for Muffy remembering her age. She says nail bed infections can take along time to heal so if we can see signs of improvement next week well continue with the stronger antibiotic course.

Not the best situation but feel so much better to find a vet who has the same concerns and goal I have, to give Muffy the best quality of life for however long she's here for. Funny how different people treat at the same practice. find the same with doctors lol.

L x
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor muffin!!!!! Fingers crossed things settle with the antibiotics!!! If not let us all know how things go!
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update, the infection looks as if its calming down but the vet confirmed she does have a tumor, we just dont know if it is malignant or not. We've both agreed its not worth putting her through an op to find out which may make it become aggressive. In my mind there is no change, she doesnt appear to be in pain now we have controlled the infection and she isnt lame on her paw so just leaving her to it Smile
heather n luke
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ur doing the right thing laura. especially if she doesnt appear to be in pain. best to help her to be happy than put her through an op that could make her sad and be in pain. xx
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a shame poor muf. I think i would have made the same call. She seemed OK at class on Thursday. So if she is OK and the infection is subsiding then i would leave well alone. let us know how she gets on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: