Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Bloat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Bloat Reply with quote

Hello, I've not been on for a while.

My younger dog Rudy (he's 18 months old) had an episode of bloat (he's a GErman pointer, deep chest, greedy little oh I swore, etc). He didn't go into full torsion thankfully - he barfed up a stomach full of food before he went under the knife for a gastropexy.

The vet is recommending the gastopexy anyway as elective surgery - it stitches his stomach in place and although it won't stop bloat, it will prevent in most cases a torsion. Without the op he has a 50/50 chance of it happening again, and if it happen when we're not there, it could kill him.

Of course the surgery itself is pretty major, which could kill him.

So I'm in a really hard place. He's healthy and happy at the moment, but I spend my life watching him. So we're thinking that maybe the operation is the better option.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated - feels like Hobson's choice to me. I have every faith in our vets, and 2 of them said that if he was their dog, they'd have the surgery done.
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor rudy!!!! Hope he's ok! Was he getting his op today?? Def worth getting it done cos although it's a big op, u wouldn't want things to be worse if he bloated again!!!! Hope he's doing better now!!
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Rudy i love reading there adventures. I don't know what i would do. If you trust the vet go with it. Or you could even get a second opinion from another vet practice i have done that on a number of occasions. I am paranoid about bloat. I try and not feed the girls if they have had any exercise for at least an hour or just about to exercise. I also got the brakefast bowls to stop the dogs from inhaling their food. My to are so greedy also so i know how you feel.

I hope all goes well i will be thinking about you.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Rudy!

If it was Hektor I would get it done but I know what you mean with him being healthy just now and putting him through an op. I would be terrified of leaving him for any length of time too.

Good luck making the decision

Lisa
kendal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree best to be on the safe side and get the op, as it is something that can come on so quickly. your boys really like making you worry about them don't they lol.

Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to get it done - least we know when he will need care rather than spending our lives worried he'll torsion when we're not there. He's young and fit and the vet has done it many times before.

He got bloat then got hit by a car. that's after he fell on a frozen canal and almost fell off a bridge into a ravine. he's been a daft puppy. But shows he's lucky. Glad he's not a cat - he's used up enough lives.

otto is nearly 4 and a lovely calm big boy. Hopefully the wee muppet gets through this and calms down. He is making my hair grAy. He's such a loving boy - still tries to sit on my knee.

I think the op is the lesser of two evils and I trust our vet.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amandawhitelaw wrote:
Poor Rudy i love reading there adventures. I don't know what i would do. If you trust the vet go with it. Or you could even get a second opinion from another vet practice i have done that on a number of occasions. I am paranoid about bloat. I try and not feed the girls if they have had any exercise for at least an hour or just about to exercise. I also got the brakefast bowls to stop the dogs from inhaling their food. My to are so greedy also so i know how you feel.

I hope all goes well i will be thinking about you.

Glad you like otto's blog. I need to do it more often - just been busy. I used to be a journalist but moved into PR. I'm trying to get writing again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: