Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Chasing cars/Sleeping outside of the cage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Chasing cars/Sleeping outside of the cage Reply with quote

Dexter has been puppysat a few times by my dad and his partner and the offer has been firmly rescinded on his pick up yesterday after his pulling and jumping after cars on walks led to a few near misses with Helen almost ending up on the road.

He does try to chase cars and vans on walks and we've been struggling with it the last few weeks and issuing corrections every time he does it and choosing walking routes where we know he will pull so that we can consistently correct him. He is very strong and I have a few times struggled with him. I'm also really wary when walking with the kids as I'm terrified he'll knock them over when he's lunging. I'm worried that he is now becoming a danger as Helen is not exactly waif like or weaker than I would say I am. Is there something else we can be doing to stop this pulling as they made it quite clear they won't be walking him again until he can be controlled?

We've also been working on reducing the use of his cage with the hope to get rid of it eventually but Dexter s really reluctant! We leave him during the day when going upstairs to get ready for work and he'll lie quietly and wait for me to come back down for about an hour. We've tried to leave him out his cage at night as I thought he'd at least sleep since it was night time. He lasts a short time before whining and we have to go downstairs and put him in his cage. Although, when we put him in his cage he lies down and immediately go to sleep. When going downstairs we don't speak to him and he is told "bed" and nothing else so as not to encourage his whining. He has slept all night outside the cage when David has been up all night watching the wrestling or the superbowl and we've put his bed in the favoured spot plus left his cage open and a bed in there too so he can choose. We also stick with the bedtime routine and make him go into his cage and give him his bedtime chew but he just will not settle outside the cage. Any tips? We were considering sleeping downstairs with him for a few nights to give him the idea but I don't know if that would upset the bedtime routine too much to help?

Any hints or tips on either issue?
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont rush him out of his crate if he isnt ready for it, he is still very young regardless of his size, and considering her is still coming out of his shell he will be enjoying the routine of having his crate at night. its his own wee den, like kids having their own room.

for his walking as well as correcting him try and keep his attention, he seems to like his treats and was doing well in class when you kept the treat at his nose. he is a big boy and learning to use his weight against you, so you need to get his attention on something that you are controlling.

Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with kendal.....if he is happy in his crate leave him be.... i always think about our dogs crate as their bedroom. silly as it may sound it's their space , their den if you like. i have used a crate for nearly 23 years with all my dogs and have always left the door open so they can go in whenever they wanted to....... the crate is a pleasurable place for them!

as for the walking pulling and chasing cars.....it can be a long road but you will get there as kendal's say try and keep his attention be it a squeaky toy , food whatever he is interested in. also talk to john about different types of collars that may help ....he is still young and he will be going through his teenage years very soon and will find more of his personality. they all test you from time to time no matter the breed or size.....they can be like kids too and you need to one step ahead of them lol!
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet again, dexter is like Huey in this respect. Huey almost pulled me in front of a car when he was about 8months. so i went for the prong collar and ask john what my face was like his first class with it on. he was like a different dog.

it's is a Janis says, power steering for a dog. I tried him a few weeks ago without it and he nearly ripped my arm out my socket. he totally knows when he's not wearing it.

i still think it looks horrendous but i couldn't actually cope without it now. Huey jumps up and down like a pogo stick as soon as i lift it as he knows he's going out.

if you haven't already i would give it a try.

Frankie
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter is now wearing a prong collar on walks. Although I think I have more problems with it than Dexter does! I've told him if he learns to behave himself he won't have to wear it anymore so hopefully he'll listen soon!! Until then we're keeping with it as he is a different dog when wearing it!

Dexter chose to sleep outside his cage last night and slept through with only a little whine about 1am! We were really pleased. When I told him "bed" last night he went and lay on his day bed instead of going in the cage. We left him and he only whined the once rather than putting up a full howling protest like we've had on previous nights when he has changed his mind half way through! I think we're progressing!

We were also very proud of our pup at class last night as, for the most part, he behaved quite well after he settled down and got over his excitement at being able to run about! We're getting there!

Cat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: