Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog Attacks by uncontrolled dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Dog Attacks by uncontrolled dogs Reply with quote

The title sounds a bit dramatic but from my point of view has become a very real problem in the last 10 days.
27/10/11-Thurs.... DOG 1....A brown lab runs out of its house and tries to attack Tubbs. I get in the way but dog growls, snarls and lunges until female owner can get it under control. She apologises and takes dog inside. Normally, if I see this dog out I about turn and head in the opposite direction. Male owner often stands on the doorstep ANC throws a ball onto the road for the dog to fetch.
There is a rope tied to the post outside the front of the house for the dog to be tied too. It is an open plan garden!
29/10/11-Sat.... DOG 2...Out walking with Cleo. Black lab runs out of the shadows and lunges at Cleo. I manage to get between them. Dog gets my arm and then Cleo's back paw. After a scuffle my son appears with car and we bundle Cleo inside. Owner sends his teenage son out to get dog who says "sorry" and takes dog inside. This dog went for my husband last month and wouldn't let a neighbor out of his driveway as it gets out on its own.
03/11/11-Thurs...DOG 3...Out walking with Tubbs and an Akita who was inadvertently left outside after its walk runs and lunges at Tubbs. I don't get her out of the way in time and the Akita gets a bite at her neck. Owner is there instantly controlling dog and apologising. Tubbs is not hurt.
DOG 1....04/11/11.... Dog 1..AGAIN!!!! Out walking with Tubbs. Walk past a house, door opens and male owner lets dog run out who snarls and lunges at Tubbs. Owner watches and says "Max, no!"
Max takes no notice and continues to try to lunge at Tubbs. I get in the way and shout at owner to "get control of your oh I swore dog!"
He slowly walks over to dog and gets hold of its collar and takes it to the doorstep saying nothing to me but glaring at me the whole time. Again Tubbs stood and didn't react at all.

How can I stop this. Dog 1 and dog 2 are a real danger to all dogs beside me. I want to do something about it but it is very seldom the dogs fault. I have pet gates as well as normal doors which control when my dogs have access to the house.
What can I do about this without the animals facing the consequences. It is more often than not, not the dog's fault!!'
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These incidents are scary-what if it had been children passing by. Would they have come off a lot worse? I can't understand the owners! If they cannot be bothered caring properly for their pets( training as well as food exercise and love) why have them? My west can show agression to wards other male dogs which is 1 of the reasons he is never off lead outside. I also warn other dog owners that he can be a bit funny with some other dogs so if they choose to allow their dogs to approach him they are aware of what might happen. He however had never shown aggression to Hans. The opposite in fact tho I'm still wary when children race over and want to pat him. I try to avoid this if I can . These owners in your case don't deserve to keep these dogs but as you said the dogs would be the ones to duffer if you report this.
E
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were very scary. I can't say Cleo will never ever escape but I take measures to try my best to prevent it. If she did and tried to attack anyone or anything, I would be mortified. Two of these dogs owners couldn't care less. I don't blame the dogs in any way
vivianne&fergus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Uncontrolled dogs Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,
I am amazed at your self control !
I have an overwhelming desire to be very unlady like in similar situations! .
What is more worrying is having young children or toddlers around as well .

I did have a similar situation in a pub when 2 dogs started to fight.Unfortunately I grabbed some guy's pint and tipped it over the dogs which stopped the fighting instantly .I bought the guy another beer!.

I don't know how else to stop these situations ! You control your dog and everbody else thinks they don't have to control theirs and you don't want to inflame the situation by being angry.

What about getting some tips from John so you have a strategy to take control and prevent any more problems.

It;s very difficult not to mention annoying!.

Vivianne &Fergus

L
vivianne&fergus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again maybe need to report it to dog warden who can monitor situation.
It will unfortunately take 1 bite on a child most likely before any action is taken.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog 2 attacks again
Last night about 15 minutes after midnight when Stuart and I were out with Cleo and Tubbs, dog 2 was out and about by itself again. We saw it in the distance and went the long way back but it saw us too and after giving chase, must have turned round and doubled back. When we got back to nearly the beginning, it was waiting for us. It lunged constantly at both dogs. It was really difficult keeping it back. Stuart eventually had to kick it to try to get it to back off. Twice! I am going to go and report it tomorrow!
It definitely needs addressed.
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awful experience. I think you have been very restrained in not reporting it before, and giving owners a chance to put things right. You are definitely doing the right thing - hope something gets done about it soon. Good luck with it.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How awful for you. You could possibly carry a pet corrector, however I would be worried that may affect Cleo or Tubbs which of course we wouldnt want.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope something is done about it soon

xx
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart and I went to Coatbridge police station today to report both attacks by dog 2. The policeman on duty said that there's not much they can do unless we report it when it happens and the police come and see the dog out roaming by itself. A policeman later phoned to get an idea of what was happening and said they could send a community police officer round to talk to the dogs owners and explain to them their responsibilities as dog owners. The dog wouldn't be dangerous to anyone if it was under control properly. It seems a bit territorial over where it roams. I just wish it's roaming could be confined to its own house and garden.
Here's hoping!
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think u have been very restrained and have given owners opportunity to sort this out. Hope word from police does trick and they realise they need to take a more hands on approach with dog off lead for their dogs sake as well as rest of public
Jean
Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: