Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Muffin's poorly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Muffin's poorly Reply with quote

Just thought I would let you guys know Muffin isn't doing so well at the moment.

Was up all night with her and she's been kept in at the vets, cant bring myself to talk about it much more than that just now.

Please keep everything crossed for her.

Will keep you up-dated when I can
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura
I'm really sorry Muffin's poorly. I will definitely keep everything crossed for her. I hope all goes well.
Take care
Sharon
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know our thoughts are with you and her! xx
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that!! Fingers crossed she picks up...let us know how she goes!
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry abou muffin, we have everything crossed for her including Tia`s paws

X

Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a wee update... laura is needlessly by her side whenever she can be and she is doing ok.... we're not out of the woods yet and laura will fill you in with full details when she gets the chance, however muffin is home showing signs of improvement all the time from eating to going for a pee by herself.... all wee milestones. when i last saw her at my house thursday night although lying down, waggy tail drinking a little and enjoying a wee cheese slice..... got a few cuddles too Smile
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Muffin is home and a bit better. I've been thinking about her and fingers have been crossed. It's a horrible time when a much loved pet is so poorly. Hopefully she continues to improve
Take Care
Sharon
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all thank you for your comments.

Sorry for the lack of information in the first post. Around 6 o'clock on Wednesday Muffin took a funny turn, I was really unhappy and took her straight to the vets. They thought it was a bleed or stroke. The only way to tell would be to give her a CAT scan which im not willing to do because of her age. We were advised to take her to the vet school where she would have to stay over night. We werent sure if shed make it through the night and with Muffins separation anxiety, I didnt want her last night to be in a vets where she didnt know anyone. i thought she would be more comfortable at mine. So she was given a jag to make her more comfortable and we brought her home. Didnt sleep a wink that night, she threw up a few times and couldnt get comfortable. By the morning she wasnt standing at all or trying to get up and she had went to the toilet when I picked her up to go to the vet. We went back to the vet in the morning and think all of us thought the likelihood was we might have to say goodbye to her.

The vet said she was showing signs of vestibular disease (an inner ear infection which affect the part of her brain that allows her to balance) which she wasnt showing the night before. She was kept in and put on a iv drip, on anti sickness tablets, an antibiotic and another thing which im not sure what it is tbh. We're allowed to take her home at nights and she showed some signs of improvement, we brought her over to Janis and Kendal's house who live nearby the vets to get her cleaned up a bit so she was more comfortable, where she eat a bit of cheese which was the first shed eaten, drank some water, wagged her tail and attempted to get up a few times. She slept that night, although i still only got a few hours here and there.

Back to the vets again yesterday, where they said she seems to be responding to medication and thought she would be more comfortable at home. So we got to take her home early yesterday, her eyes were much more focused (they were rolling and flickering before) when i went to collect her the head nurse had her standing and invited me round back to see if we could coax her to walk, she managed a few steps Smile

Got her to eat a few mouthfulls of dinner last night and she chewed which she hadnt been able to do the night before. Because she cant get up shes been going to the toilet whereever she is but last night we managed to get her to walk outside and as soon as she got on the grass she went to the toilet, squatted and everything. Smile She didnt manage to hold it this morning but im going to try taking her out in the middle of the night so shes not having to hold for so long. She had a wee bark at the door and in general is being more Muffin like lol. Shes still as stubborn as can be, will only walk when she see's a benefit for herself haha.

Shes still in a very bad way and I'm not getting my hopes up yet but she is a lot happier and more comfortable than she was Wednesday and Thursday which brings me some relief. We had to ask the tough question on Wednesday night honestly one of the most difficult decisions I had to make, and I really thought I had made the wrong one when we got her home on Wednesday night, thankfully she seems to be responding to the treatment now. The main thing now is to keep her moving, get her to eat a few bites and drink water. She has a head tilt, which if she pulls through may never go away but thats a very small price to pay if she can continue to have a good quality of life.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say as well we had a blood test done and everything came back normal so we know her kidneys liver etc are still holding up despite her age.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully she will continue to improve.
You must feel like you are in the middle of a nightmare.
My thoughts are with you guys. I know it's difficult but try and get a rest when Muffin does.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Id let you all know Muffin is up and walking now, just like her mummy is trying to run before she can walk, falling over now when she decides she wants to jump lol.

Drinking a lot of water, was sick once yesterday, slice of cheese again. So just need to get her eating a meal now and see how she is once she is off the tablets. Still a lot of hurdles to go but shes on the right path

Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. I am so pleased to hear she is improving more. I'm sure she'll be back to her old self soon
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went thru a similar situation with our 18 year old Lhasa apso in September. She is now running around as spritely as an 18 year old dog can - eating and barking for Scotland I should add!! Best wishes for muffin!!
Jean
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update on Muffin

Muffy is recovering very well now. She is still too quick on her feet for her brain sometimes but she is working out how to balance herself well now. She still has the head tilt.

She has ate her first full meal Very Happy scoffed a bowl of chicken tonight as well as eating various things at Janis and Kendal's house who have been a god send and been looking after her during the day for me now that im back at work.

Just to wait and see how she is off the tablets now
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear she's doing better!!! She's definitely a fighter!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: