Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
What painkillers are dog-safe? URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLEASE!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: What painkillers are dog-safe? URGENT HELP REQUIRED PLEASE!! Reply with quote

Hello,

Poor Dexter has a sore left hind leg. We've just returned (today!!) from honeymoon and picked Dexter up from the people who were looking after him for us. By the time we had him home he jumped from the car and was limping on the leg. As the afternoon has worn on though he will now not put any weight at all on the leg and is whining. 've had a good look at the paw and nothings bleeding or cut and I've checked between the pads for grit or any irritants and there's nothing. Earlier I moved his elbow back and forth and he didn't yelp and had a feel up and down the leg but just tried to straighten it there and he had a proper whine. Phoned the people looking after him who say he hasn't had any problems and he certainly walked to the car ok when we picked him up. I think it'll be vets in the morning.

Does anyone have any advice as to what painkillers I could give him in the meantime? I've heard ibuprofen is safe but paracetamol is not. Can anyone clarify? (if you've never met our Dexter he is a german shepherd, 16 months old and weighs approx 35kg)

Thanks
Cat
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon he's sprained himself with excitement coming out of the car or so having you back... however we use ibuprofen for ours and he is much bigger so i feel you could give him a full one over a 24 hour period.... it is a pain killer and an anti inflammatory .... i hope you had a great honeymoon and if i were you i would put off dashing to the vet for a few days giving it a few days to settle down!
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janice. I thought it was probably a sprain or pulled muscle too as if he'd broken it we'd have heard all about it I'm sure!

He's still whining and goes between limping on it and putting no weight on it at all but he has eaten and is still drinking so this is good. We've not walked him though, just let him into the garden for the toilet. I think we'll hold off on the vet and see how he is in 48 hours.

Had a great honeymoon thanks! What a thing to come home to though!! I think we just have bad pet-health-luck! When we moved last year my wee cat cut her leg open leading to an operation and staples, after our wedding Dexter had an infected leg and my big cat an eye infection and, now after our honeymoon, Dexter has hurt his leg! Think we'll just need to live a dull and predictable life from now on as obviously our pets don't deal with life events very well!!!
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat
Hope you had a good holiday.
Aspirin is ok for dogs. Normal dose is 10 mg of aspirin per kg of weight of dog, so a normal 320mg tablet would be fine for Dexter short term. Don't use with any other anti-inflammatory preparation though.
Hope Dexter feels better soon.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat
I should have said, the frequency of that dosage is every 12 hours. 10mg is a low dose but you can give up to 20mg/kg of body weight every 12 hours. Better starting at the low end. Don't give enteric coated tablets as a dogs digestive system doesn't break down the coating and they tend to come out the other end intact. Normal tablets are best. I agree with Janice. In all the excitement of having you guys back, he has probably pulled a muscle or got a wee strain or sprain. Whatever you try, I hope it helps and he gets back to his own self soon.

I got to see Bebe again a couple of weeks ago, and Diesel. Bebe is back with her owner and Diesel has been neutered, so no more puppies. Again, she was great with me; no aggression at all. Diesel was lovely too.
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Dexter ended up at the vets today. As the night wore on he got worse and worse with wee sad eyes and the ears hanging to the side so it was obviously causing pain. He'd licked it all night long and by the time we came down at 6 this morning he'd licked til it was furless and bleeding.

The vet thinks it's a wee cut in between his toes but is worried incase theres something stuck in there. She wanted to take him in tomorrow morning to sedate him and have a look between the toes but we've decided not to do that as I don't want to put him through that when there's possibly nothing there, especially after I'd checked on Sunday afternoon and prodded bits and he'd not reacted. So we've antibiotics, a gel and a buster collar. We've to go back on Thursday and he'll go for the surgery on Friday if necessary but I really hope it's not. He really is a poor soul tonight.

I saw the email about Bebe when I came home yesterday and wondered what the story was. I'm really happy to hear that though, I was worried something had happened to change the plans. While they had VERY cute puppies (with Dexter being the best-est looking puppy ever!!) I'm very glad future productions have been stemmed!!
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wee update

Dexter is going in tomorrow morning to be put under anesthetic. His paw keeps bleeding,scabbing over then bleeding again. It's also about twice the size as usual even though he's had antibiotics so I don't feel like we can leave it any longer. I think there maybe is something in it as it's just not healing. I hopeful this'll help him but I'm quite upset at the thought of it.

Poor Dexter!
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never fails to amaze me how quickly cats and dogs recover from anaesthetics and surgery. They seem to bounce back so much quicker than us humans do.
I hope he's not too stressed by it all. Poor wee soul must be in a bit of pain. I'll be thinking about him tomorrow. Let us all know how he gets on.
I know you will be worried but try not to stress too much.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear although I have no doubts Dexter will be just fine.

The level of care they receive is exceptional when under and as Sharon says they bounce back so quickly.

Sending healing thoughts
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Today's update on Dexter.

His paw bled very heavily yesterday then stopped all of a sudden and overnight it didn't bleed at all. This morning it has scabbed over, the puffiness has gone and he's putting nearly all weight back on it!

We took him to the vet as scheduled anyway and she had a look (from a distance as Dexter tried to eat her and we've been told he must be muzzled immediately next visit-thanks Dex, show mummy up why don't you!!) and said that whatever was lodged in there must have bled out and she didn't want to do the operation has planned as she didn't see the need. So we were sent home with extra antibiotics and the instructions the cone must stay on and the gel is still to be applied. We've also to keep him off gritted areas, areas with stones or gravel, mud or puddles. So that's nowhere then?! Might as well just carry him....

So I'm getting the bad mummy looks for the cone and he's not exactly enamored with the gel either! But the antibiotics mean I've to find new and inventive foods to stuff it in so he'll eat them so he's been having chicken (David's as I couldn't get out to the supermarket), tuna, sandwich filler etc!

After 3 sleepless nights and a multitude of fussing over him I think we're over the worst of it and he's finally on the mend! Don't I just feel the worst owner in the world though for missing the whatever stuck in there on the first look on Sunday!! I think I need another holiday to recover now ....

Thank you all for your thoughts and supportive messages. I really appreciate it. It's just so accurate that they become such an integral part of the family that the world just doesn't seem right without them.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give missing anything a second thought. It might not have been anything stuck in his paw. If he banged it on something or got a jag off something, he could have had a haematoma where blood from a vein or artery leaks into the surrounding tissue and the pressure that causes is really painful. On humans, it is easy to see but not on a dogs paw. If it was that and he bit the correct part of his paw, it would bleed lots, the swelling would go down and the pressure would be relieved. That's just one scenario. There are more. You might never know. The important thing is that he's on the mend. They can't tell us exactly what's wrong; we can only make best guess and hope we're close.
He's lucky. He's got such a good mum and dad. Alot of people would have stuck a makeshift bandage on it and left it, where it could have got infected big time.
You will still get the "looks" though. They're good at making us feel bad!
I'm sure he will be running about having fun soon.
Good luck with carrying him. Rather you than me!
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I know he's a bit of a hefty pup!!

We've just been walking around our estate with him as it was sorely neglected during the gritting so we thought that'd probably be the cleanest, smoothest surface available but we're getting looks for that too as he's used to through muddy field rambles not short walks in a circle!!

David says he just knows how to manipulate me with his sad puppy eyes so I'll go and cook him some chicken!

I'm hopeful this is the end though! I'm so glad he didn't have to have the operation and is now sleeping peacefully on my foot after I gave him a bit of cone-off time while I'm able to watch him. Healing thoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: