Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Open or closed muzzle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Bargain Buys & Other Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Open or closed muzzle? Reply with quote

Hello,

Booked Dexter in for the "snip snip" next week (we're not saying it too loudly incase he hears the imminent threat of a vet visit) and, after his last escapade where he tried to eat the vet and we were told he must be muzzled immediately next time, I've bought a muzzle for him. I get the feeling, though, that they'll probably have it on him immediately after this op before he comes round so I wondered if the closed fabric type muzzle would actually be quite restrictive and uncomfortable to be in all day? Would an open be better? Although do the closed ones offer better control and safety? Any recommendations?

Cat

p.s. for all who may have heard my distaste at the vet's receptionist comments in the past- I asked could Dexter be chipped at the same time when under anaesthetic and she said yes that would be fine. I then stated "it's just that he doesn't really like coming to the vet and it would be best to have everything done at once-he has issues" and she said "yes, we know"!! Never mind Dexter growling at her, it'll be me instead!!!
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the basket type muzzles as the dog is free to open its mouth and pant. I find the fabric type too restrictive. They can only open their mouths a wee bit with the fabric type but they can still catch skin with that wee bit of mouth opening. I have tried both with Cleo. Although she doesn't particularly like both types, she tolerates the basket muzzle so much better.
When I got Cleo spayed, our vet phoned for us to pick her up a.s.a.p..when we got there, I had to go into the back and get her out her kennel as no-one could get near her. When she saw me, she turned into little miss sweetness.
They are worse than taking kids to the doctors.
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabric are good if their only going to be on while your doing something to them groomers and vets use them as it keeps the mouth closed, and only going to me on a couple of minuets at a time.

the basket ones are better for longer periods of time allows them to pant and depending on the size and shape etc they can drink as well.

hope it all goes well, poor boy, but its for the best.

Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basket one it is then! Thanks!

I think Dexter'll be like that. He really is a bit of a demon in the vets and like butter wouldn't melt as soon as we're back to the car! I think we'll get him back quite sleepy as I don't anticipate they'll want to keep him very long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Bargain Buys & Other Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: