Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
tv special!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: tv special! Reply with quote

just in case anybody is interested on bbc1 tonight there is a panorama special on fighting dogs underground! might be worth a watch!
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that could be an interesting watch. Probably upsetting, but interesting.
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to watch that. We often meet a pit bull cross staffie and I must say it seems a very nice dog. Dale plays with it quite happily so I reckon a lot depends on how they're treated.

What did worry me is this. I met heard today that a lot of dogs are stolen in this area and used as BAIT in dog fights. I'd never thought of that. I regularly left Sam outside shops off lead because i knew he'd stay and he'd never have gone with anyone willingly. So I've been walking Dale to the shops and leaving him for short times, tied up of course. I don't think I'll be leaving him anywhere now.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice, it's an awful thing but it does happen. I'm always reluctant leaving my two outside Tesco. But as there are two of them I think that makes a difference. The security man, trolley boys and Tesco staff all know our two really well with them being there every morning for the papers anyway, so I'd doubt even they would stand back and let anyone try to take them either!!!!
It's a sad day when you have to take these things into consideration - but an unfortunate fact of life now.
Dale is so affectionate, he'd want to play with anyone that approached him!
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen is watching that and I am catching little bits of it, its horrible. Those poor dogs have no life and those idiots are getting a great breed a bad name. Crying or Very sad
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't really watch that kind of program..........makes me too angry.
I'd happily knock seven bells out of these ar**h*les.

sorry for the outburst but it's the way I feel.
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a really horrible program. I must be thick or something but I'd no idea dog fighting was so organized or widespread. i still don't see where dogs are used as bait but Dale won't be left anywhere. I suppose its really all about money not dogs. I'd like to set the fighting dogs on their owners.
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I didn't even watch it all and I was shocked just how easy these dogs can be bought and how they are treated. I wish I never watched even a little bit of it, it was so upsetting.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I suppose its really all about money not dogs.

you're right Janice. Gambling ............. big money involved. Sad. Crying or Very sad
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have previously watched anything relating to dog fighting......certain groups of society seemed to be more involved than others..........and I am being very carefull how I word this!

Did this program mention anything regarding this?
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very informative and sickening! i want to call these men animals but animals wouldn't do this kind of thing to other creatures!

i would gladly bring back capital punishment for men like these ! i can see no sport in this at all and find it shocking how easy it seems to be not that i would ever consider such a thing! whatever happened to man's best friend!??

dogs whatever size breed or crossbreed should be embraced in every home loved pampered and disciplined to know what is right and wrong and to live in harmony with humans! then both dog and man can learn from each other while sharing their time on this earth!

the law may be tightened but sadly there will always be individuals who get their kicks out of unsavory sports! it's the world we live in!
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you're thinking of. There were one or two breeders picked out in Finland and Ireland particularly. There were also references to inner cities and gangs who wanted dogs well for their 'image' I suppose.
I'd associated fighting dogs with drug dealers but I'm not sure where I picked up that idea.
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was at school we were given a talk by the greyhound rescue who told us about retired raising dogs that were cut with knives to create open wound that the fighting dogs would want fight over. this was just one of the many ways they have of getting rid off unwanted dogs. the bait is meant to intensify the fight and and to give the dogs a prize to fight for.

it is sick, they are such beautiful and happy looking dogs, but i have to agree with what one of the 'farmers boys' said when he was talking about mixing pit bulls and children and how they should be kept separate.
having said that i do understand that some if not all bull breeds can be loving family pets such as Laura's Cassy and kip they are lovely dogs and get on with kids of all ages, as we see in her videos such as the nanny video, but i think that this could only be achieved with the right training of a responsible owner.

Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mess from start to to finish, it made out these were killer dogs yet you seen a reporter happily walk unaided through a yard of 35 APBTs tail wagging and dying for some human attention if they were SO leathal would you walk through there?. It made out these were killer dogs yet the reporter was quite happy to take an INNOCENT dog to a country where it was legal into a country where it was illegal just to prove a point (and the dog WAS PTS) ....Did none of you ask what happened to Nipper? Did he seem aggressive to people to you? I doubt it if they walked him thru the streets of liverpool....If these dogs were SO scary would the reporter have transported it over several countries??? Even when fightinhg if they were SO aggressive why were handlers till in the pit, unknown to the dog. Not a sympaythiser just speaking the truth...No the only expense there was the dog who WAS PTS, used and abused all his life for one purpose or another....To anybody who watched the documentary, were any dogs human aggressive....NO the opposite there was a yard full of dogs chained up and under stimulated that STILL craved human attention, wagging tais and jumping to speak o folk.......On a last note, the DDA 1991 was introducd after a series of non fatal attacks, since then there have been fatal attacks by other breeds yet not legislation....In the USA the bite statistics Labs are top of the list Pits are way down.....nobody questions this......nobody is for these dogs...
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 10 years of my life around pitbulls before they were banned, there was no dog better around people than the APBT some folk choose to listen to the media and the stories they tell some folk listen to the truth.

Nobody said the dog that killed the wee girl Ellie was a cross between a Neo Mastiff and an APBT, notice how the police said initially it was an APBT then never said anything else.....The police declared it an APBT I have been around a few never in my life have I seen a 24" 100lb APBT, dont take things at face value, if the name has pitbull it sells stories, none mention how labs have the worst bite statistics in the USA, nobody says how APBTs are WAY down on that list....A chiuaua killed a baby the year before ellie was killed, I dont know many that heard of this.. lets ban these two....Most folk who speak of pits have had NO experience of these dogs and infact most wouldnt recognise one if they saw them in the street....

Any animal has the potential to be dangerous its the person holding the lead that determines that, our motto is always blame the deed not the bred I can NEVER understand any dog owner wiling to blame one breed for anything....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: