Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
the Bernese Mounting dog!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: the Bernese Mounting dog! Reply with quote

Hi all

it's been a while hope everyone is good.

we've been missing classes, just the way things have worked for us now the class times are awkward for us for work and only having the one Huey mobile.

Huey is missing all his friends tho.

He's got a bit of a mounting issue with other dogs at the moment. One of our neighbours dogs is a very submissive male collie, who quite frankly has been violated by Huey on numerous occasions now. i'm sure is defo a dominance thing. he tries it on with us on ocassion when he gets wound up too much, but he knows who the bosses are in the house and soon calms down.

just wondering on any tips for him with the other dogs. For poor max's sake at least!!

Frankie
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he been neutered. Angus was prone to this but once he was " done" it stopped completely. He used to try it on with soft toys cushions anything I fact but after snip( at 3 years old( he stopped.
Jean
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Huey and Dexter must be behaviour twins!

Dexter has now had the "snip" so it has stopped now. His clifford teddy had to be thrown out after severe violation where the stuffing actually fell out!!

Have you tried a spray collar? Dexter doesn't like being hissed at and it worked for his barking. The remote control ones are a bit more expensive than the normal bark activated ones but it might help as you'd have a remote control so wouldn't actually have the haul him off!

Victoria Stillwell suggests doggy reiki massage as it relaxes the dog. It worked very well in one programme with a giant schnauser who couldn't be neutered as competed in Crufts and it pretty much eradicated the behaviour within a week. She talks about it on her website and in the books as an effective tool. Although you'll probably pay through the nose for it there's stuff on the net you can learn and "DIY" it!

Another thing is chemical castration. Again, Victoria Stillwell talks about it as an option if you don't want your dog to have the surgery.

Hope that helps!
Cat
Breagha's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus had the chemical castration before the op and it worked exactly the same. His amorous behavior disappeared. If u want to know anymore about chemical "snip" let me know
Jean
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

thanks for that, it's not really an issue with us or in the house in general unless he gets carried away and super excited. which usually ends with him getting into trouble and then sitting to attention on my feet trying to say sorry.

I'm not keen on him getting snipped just don't feel it warrants it at this stage. I think it's definitely more of a behavioral correction he needs especially as he only does it with certain dogs (mainly males) he thinks he can dominate.

in actual fact he's a big girl's blouse and when other dogs have a pop at him he closes his eyes and pretends he can't see them so they go away.

maybe i need to get the pet correcter spray back out the cupboard and give him a hiss when he does it.

thanks all

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: