Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How to fit a prong correctly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoebe wrote:
Good to know, though I am not a friend of prongs. Rolling Eyes

Kendal, at which kennel do you work? I´m just curious, because I´m a kennel maid as well. I work at Sasilasy´s. Very Happy

I'm not either to an extent but I have seen big benefits in dogs that started to wear them soooooooo, I am stuck in the middle of like and dislike if that makes sense Confused

I do think that they benefit certain dog's behaviour.
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there I have been using Prongs for a couple of years and when I first saw them in a pet store in Canada my sister and I were horrified thinking how cruel, then seeing the difference they made to Johns dogs I decided to give them a go for my two male shepherds after a lot of studying, I can honestly say that the difference they made was amazing, no more pulling dogs with "gentle" tug on lead the dogs were more responsive to commands and this gave me more confidence which they sensed straight away hence me taking complete control over walks. I used to use halti headcollars and when I called on my boys to come to get them on they came with ears down looking none too happy, with prongs they are straight over heads up and happy guys, I do not have to correct to heel any more as they know to walk to heel and we are all happy chappies.
As John says not needed for every dog but ideal for some.
Isabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ But this is not helping when he is in the car and driving me nuts barking at any dog he passes.

I may have to try a remote collar - and am just about to look into different ones.[/quote]

This was addressed on it's 'me or the dog once', She recommended that if the dog keeps barking at stuff in the car then to block their view with a blanket and then they will realise that it will be a boring trip if they bark cos they can't see out of the window. Not sure if you would have to keep stopping when they barked to put the blanket up though!! Laughing
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabel do you bring car to club if so get people to walk past parked car and you can be inside with him with treats and as dog passes distract him as soon as his focus is moved from dog to you, you reward him with nice tasty treat he will soon learn there is nothing to fear from dogs outside of car. It is a hard one to deal with as you have to focus on your driving, but would be perfect outside training club eventually building up to you driving past club repeatedly. good luck if you need someone to walk up and down outside your car I will help with my two shepherds.
Isabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen, thanks for that. I was actually replying to kirsty's post before, it is one of her boys barking in the car, but thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure kirsty will be interested. So far doogle doesn't bark in the car Confused Laughing
brenda
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing i have ever bought for Kaiser. I would advise if you dog pulls on the lead get one.
Brenda
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Isabel my mistake, Embarassed
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen and Isabel, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I Have the its me or the dog book and may end up trying that.

At the moment Im just too lazy (what a terrible thing to admit) but will really have to address this problem soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: