Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
A few puppy questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CapAndFiona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: A few puppy questions.... Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a few puppy questions about Cap our border collie pup (you might want to get yourself a cup of tea first!)

OK, here goes.....

1. What is the best type of collar for him (he's 3 months but quite big). We've been using a harness as this seemed to be the recommend way to introduce puppies to walking as it puts less strain on their neck, however, Cap pulls REALLY hard on his harness and always sounds out of breath. I tried him with his nylon puppy collar (while having the harness on too just as a back up) and he seems to walk a lot better with this but I'm worried it's not really up to the job when he starts barking/pulling towards the traffic. Can I use another type of collar or must it be the special puppy one?

2. How tight should his collar be?

3. Food - At the moment I'm feeding him Beta Puppy but would love to mix this with other foods. He is on 3 small meals a day but I was wondering if I could substitute 2 of the kibble meals for fresh food such as pasta, cooked chicken etc.

4. How many eggs can I feed him each week? Scrambled or raw...what is best? (he does LOVE a scrambled egg!)

5. How many carrots a week can he get his chompers into?

6. Can he have table scraps such as spag bol, mince & potatoes (minus the potato but what about the onion in the mince??)

7. How many commands should he know by now?

LAst one...

8. Puppy walks? Where and when are the walks and is too young yet to join in?

Ok, that's me finished for now but I'll be back with more!

Thanks Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fiona,

1. I would use a flat collar on a young puppy.....a harness will encourage pulling....that is why sled dogs use harnesses.

2. tight enough that he cannot get it off......you should be able to fit a couple of fingers under it.

3. fresh food will not do him any harm........but why feed human food? lots of info about food on the forums here.

4. Eggs will not do any harm, a scrambled egg a day I can't see causing any problem.

5. Again carrots will do no harm.....a healthy chew for him.

6. Table scraps are a good idea.......scrape your plates into his bowl as this re enforces pack order....never feed from the table or you will have a dog that 'begs' at the table.

7. Every dog is different but Collies thrive on work.

8. because the weather has been so poor there have not been walks.......I have updated your forum permissions so that you can see that section of the forum.

John
CapAndFiona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

We got a flat collar yesterday and it's much better than the flimsy puppy thing. I'm still putting his harness on (unattached to the lead) as I need to be able to hang on to him when lorries and vans pass us as I don't have the confidence yet to go out only with the collar on by itself. We tried the toy idea to distract from passing traffice but it doesn't work so we have been sticking with 'Leave it' and if he does then he gets a treat, however, for the past 2 days the food has been working less and less and this morning I found myself shouting 'NO!' after barking & trying to go for everything that passed. He certainly paid attention to me and stopped barking straight away. So I experimented between 'leave It' and 'NO!' and found that the 'NO!' works but I can't help feeling that was wrong? I didn't give him any treat after the 'NO!' command, I just continued walking. What do to?? Go with the 'NO!'? This weekend we will be spending a lot of time walking along the road to try and get him used to the traffic.

Food: I'm a bit worried about using raw meat as he does like to lick your hands when he comes for cuddle and wasn't sure about the risk of illness if , say, my daughter forgot to wash her hands after playing with him and then eats something herself? I would love to swap to raw but just need a bit more convincing I think.

As for his egg a day, would this count as one of meals or an added extra?

Hi training is coming along nicely, especially after last week when you told us about the 'yes' mark........he certainly knows what that means! I've also been working on eye contact and get him to 'look' before I give him his next task/command. Should I practice just saying 'look' and say 'yes' when he does then give him his treat?

Thanks!
Fiona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: