Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Raw/ Cleo, Tubbs and Alfie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Raw/ Cleo, Tubbs and Alfie Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I have really missed coming to class and hope to return soon if you have space. I need to get a few things in order first and get my butt into gear though. We are hoping to sell up and move soon to somewhere a bit more rural if possible. Cleo would be much more comfortable with that and I'm sure Tubbs and Alfie wouldn't mind it either.
We just seem to be taking one step forward at the moment and 2 steps back.
One thing I do want to move forward with is changing my lot to raw feeding. Tubbs is ageing way faster than she should ( her back end is very unstable), and I want to give her every opportunity to be active. It can't hurt.
John, could you give me a contact number for Grayshill and a wee bit of info if possible. Some have said its way more expensive than processed food but others say its way cheaper. I would value your opinion as your dogs and mine should have similar sized appetites.
Any information is much appreciated.
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
With raw feeding you need a bit of forward planning and freezer space.

There are lots of different websites on raw feeding and there are a number of compleat raw food suppliers who balance the food with a mix of veg organ meat and bone.

I raw feed in a DIY way where the brace of the diet is beef and I add different meet other days such as fish, lamb, rabbit, and chicken. Also from time to time liver, heart, kidney anddirty or green tripe (not the bleached one)
Then for their bone part of their diet I give them chicken wings/carcass/neck(same with turkey). I also feed pork or lamb ribs. I also get marrow bones from the place we beet out beef for the dogs so they get them as well.

I also feed raw eggs I keep the shells and crush them in an old blender so that I can ass a teaspoon of shell(works out to be about 1egg she'll) into their dinner on days that I'm not giving them bones. It's just extra calcium.

Do a good but of google before you start raw feeding as you do need to be a little bit committed to it. I can go for week just giving my girls basic meat without the organ met or veg but you really should add the extras every so often.

As for how much it depends on your dog but in general you looking at 2 or 3 % of their ideal body wait (but for a puppy you feed more). However it's really more about the feel of your dog. Feel the ribs if its hard to feel them you cut the food down, if they feel to skinny feed them more. I am for ever upping and downing the amount as my girls go up and down from time to time at the moment in feeding them up as they are a but to skinny.

So look into the different ways of raw feeding you can pick some up and pets at home (the one in Falkirk has a better selection). Some add veg and rice other just pure meet.
Other online companies will deliver too your door(some you need to buy in bulk others you can order as much or as little as you need.

Some people start raw feeding then find it to hard work so switch back to kibble but raw is always with a try. But start off with that you can find at the super market or a pets at home.

Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kendal. I've done a bit of research and looked into the suppliers who do complete raw food. Natural instinct seem good but quite expensive that way. So does Supermarket feeding. 800g per day per dog would be quite expensive from Tesco or Asda. How does Grayshill work and do you have a contact number for them?
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know their number but you can just drop in to them parking at the reception area and someone will come to you. They sell their meat in 5kg bags sometimes fresh sometimes frozen, we generally get 2 bags for £7
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janis. That sounds really good. That along with veg, bone, tripe etc should work out quite cost effective. You might be getting lots of messages from me on here and on fb with loads of daft questions. I've read an awful lot about raw feeding but have no actual experience of it. I think I'll get it fresh, divide into portions and freeze and see how it works out. Better clear out the freezer now. If the dogs are thriving on it, I'll just get them their own wee freezer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: