Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
possibly worth a read!!!! ( dog food!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Welcome back Cassandra Laughing
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really sorry but i think that article is a load of rubbish. dogs that die from kidney failure at the age of 4, generally have an inherited condition which will not show symptoms until around 90 % of kidneys have failed and at which point not a lot can be done. pedigree dogs suffer from these sorts of problems a lot more frequently than mongrels or crossbreeds, so maybe we as owners should be looking into the the history and health of the breeders we buy from. too many people breed from dogs which are unsuitable and pass problems on to pups.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest reading some of these articles if you are going to recommend feeding offal to dogs.
The liver helps filter many chemical substances, toxins and waste products from the blood. Most medicines are cleaned from the bloodstream by the liver. Offal functions to rid the body of impurities. Those impurities are within the offal you choose to feed the dogs.

Feeding raw hydatid infected offal to dogs was found to be associated with E. granulosus infection.
PL Moro, L Lopera, N Bonifacio, A Gonzales, RH … - Veterinary Parasitology, 2005

... The lack of knowledge about E. granulosus and its transmission among dog ownersmay explain the frequent practice of feeding livestock offal to dogs. ...
IE Buishi, EM Njoroge, O Bouamra, PS Craig - Veterinary Parasitology, 2005 - Elsevier

Hydatid cyst of the abdominal aorta and common iliac arteries complicated by a false aneurysm: a … - all 3 versions »
Z Pulathan, A Cay, Y Guven, H Sarihan - J Pediatr Surg, 2004 - Elsevier

... HYDATID DISEASE, a parasitic infestation, is endemic in livestock-raising countries
in which the custom of feeding offal to dogs prevails. ...
… the occurrence of pseudorabies in Sweden. II. An outbreak in dogs caused by feeding abattoir offal.
G Hugoson, G Rockborn - Zentralbl Veterinarmed B, 1972 - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

On the occurrence of pseudorabies in Sweden. II. An outbreak in dogs caused
by feeding abattoir offal. Hugoson G, Rockborn G. MeSH

All of these above are research papers from around the world which point out the danger of transmitting disease to dogs by the feeding of offal. Personally I would avoid it at all costs.

However, I also avoid feeding my children all animal products. Everyone must choose their own way.
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartW wrote:
I feed Google fresh goldfish every day.. he can't get enough of them.

Stuart, the next time we walk - 'let me tell you a story' bout lindsay feeding bob our dead orandas and goldfish. Until recently I thought he had been flushing th em down the pan. couldnt post - needs to be told verbally.

very cheeky post btw - loved it.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thread this!

I constantly re-evaluate training/feeding ......pretty much everything about my dogs.......I am not naive enough to believe that I have all the correct answers!

as for feeding.....the more research that I did the more I became convinced that commercial dog food was not what was best for my dogs...........yeas there are some good quality brands out there but from what I could learn they were few and far between. A case in point was the recall of over 60 million cans of contaminated dog food in the US..........many dogs ( and cats) dies from renal failure due to a bad batch of gluten which originated in China..........google it if you want more info.

I took the decision to change to a 'species appropriate diet' which is pretty much what wild dogs/wolves eat......raw meat,( passed as fit for human consumption by DEFRA).

I have seen lots of positive benefits in my dogs which I have listed elsewhere on the forum.

Everything is a compromise........I believe that, for now, I have found the right one for me and my dogs.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent read all the post about the offal, but something like that was talked about on the greyhound forum I go into and it was said as long as the meat had been frozen, it killed the parasites, but im not sure if it was the same thing or not.

I suppose its like everything else, even our food has a lot of controversy so I just like to carry on and hope it ok the way I do it but who knows Rolling Eyes
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please everybody remember that when googling any topic, most of the articles that come up can be total rubbish. Anybody can write an article on any topic in the world and pass it off on the internet. Please dont take whats written there as gospel. You are better speaking to experts on that particular issue.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzanne l wrote:
You are better speaking to experts on that particular issue.

Who would you suggest is an expert or best place to offer advice in what is best to feed a dog Suzanne?
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like telling the difference between 'The Sun' and a newspaper.
Articles I quoted above are from reputable academic papers published by respected scientific journals. Articles for publication in such journals are peer assessed before publication. Reference are given also to sites and authors.
I do not trust any bald statement which has no serious scientific research to back it up.
Having written journalism I know that 'common-sense argument' is often a cover for sensationalism.
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna, i wasnt making reference to you!
The obvious choice for speaking to in this case would be a Veterinary Surgeon, or a nutritionist, but a Vet is probably easier to come by. It worries and insults me that some people on this forum have such a low opinion of the Veterinary world. I know many vets, both personally and professionally, some of whom are extremely highly qualified, and none know of this apparent cover up of whats really in dog food. Yes vets who own a practice will make a profit on foods, the same way that asda does on a loaf of bread, they certainly dont recieve subsidies or bribes from manufacturers such as Hills, and do not receive free food either.
Also, all the Vets I know that have pets, feed their animals commercial diets. Now these people love their pets just as much as all of you, so surely if they thought that pet food kills, they would all be feeding a raw diet? I feed my kitten Hills science plan, and my family also use this make, if I thought for one second that this food was bad for them in any way i would not use it, I love my pets more than anything.
Im all for people feeding what they think is right, but I dont like to see things written which arent true.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
suzanne l wrote:
they certainly dont recieve subsidies or bribes from manufacturers such as Hills, and do not receive free food either.
I feed my kitten Hills science plan, and my family also use this make, if I thought for one second that this food was bad for them in any way i would not use it

I think that most vets do a tremendous job....however ask yourself this......look at a GSD's teeth are they genetically designed to tear raw meat .......or chew dry food that was invented in the 1940's when during the war there was a shortage of metal to make cans to contain processed dog food..........or chew the waste products from human food manufacturers which were canned and sold for profit from the early 1900's..........

It may be coincidence that Hills finance the nutrition section in a veterinary course...........hence every vet in the UK sells Hills Science Plan...I am cynical and question the motives behind things like this especially when their products were withdrawn from sale in the (litigation capital of the world ) US because the food was causing renal failure in both dogs and cats earlier this year ( not bad breeding.....contaminated gluten in pet food).

Dry pet food appeared around the same time as formula milk for babies....profit led propaganda in my opinion......breast is best is now the cry.........surely be it it a child, dog , cat or human adult.........a natural , fresh preservative free diet has to beneficial? e numbers and preservative to increase shelf life are surely not good for humans or animals?

I love a good debate Very Happy
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the American Vetenatry Medical Association site regarding the recall of pet food including Hills cat food..........would you take the chance?

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerky dog treats..........American College of Internal Medicine Website.............

Janice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It want to get into the food debate again. Dale's happily settled on Burns or JWB.

However I thought it might be worth mentioning that there have been concerns about dog toys and treats manufactured in China. It seems to the same as the problems with children's toys things like lead levels in paint. Apparently even reputable firms have been using China to produce cheap goods and the standards aren't always what you'd expect. I think its either the dog chat or border collie forum that has a long thread about toys.
I've had a look at Dale's toys but its not easy to know where they were made Confused
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can comment on are my own dogs and all three of mine are on a raw diet (and my cat as well). Star and Libby since May this year and Jake's breeder weaned the pups on raw. I have noticed a tremendous difference in Star and Libby, their energy levels, their coats, teeth, eyes. If they are at the vets for anything the vet always comments on there health and coats.

I love feeding raw and will never change back to tinned or kibble foods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: