Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
possibly worth a read!!!! ( dog food!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: possibly worth a read!!!! ( dog food! Reply with quote

http://www.thedogfoodconspiracy.com/dog-food-secrets.php

with all the iams talk i came across this and thought it might be of interest!
bluechowchow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: I like commercial food Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry I am Newbie. Certainly I don't know as much as you. But I like to feed my dogs well-known brands. I think there are really safe. I don't want to buy fresh meat from my local butcher every day. Most probably they would die of BSE from the raw meat. Am I right?
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I like commercial food Reply with quote

bluechowchow wrote:
Hi there,

Sorry I am Newbie. Certainly I don't know as much as you. But I like to feed my dogs well-known brands. I think there are really safe. I don't want to buy fresh meat from my local butcher every day. Most probably they would die of BSE from the raw meat. Am I right?

No, eating raw is completely natural for them and very very healthy. Lots of branded dog foods are very unhealthy for dogs. It is very important that you look into what is in these foods.
Raw feeding is far less of a risk than manufactured pet food. Dogs have the teeth and jaws to eat meat and bones, that's what they eat in the wild, perfectly natural and extremely good for them.
You should read more about raw feeding it would surprise you. The link above that Janis has posted is not lies unfortunately, these large companies do not produce healthy food for animals.
bluechowchow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: dog food Reply with quote

Hi Marcella,

thanks a lot for your opinion. You said it is very important to look into what is in this food.
But I don't know. I am not a chemist who can read through all these abbreviations that are written on the can. I trust them that they won't harm my dogs. They want that my little loved ones are healthy and live long. When they would die young I couldn't buy any food for them.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dog food Reply with quote

bluechowchow wrote:
I am not a chemist who can read through all these abbreviations that are written on the can.

that is EXACTLY the point! Why feed your dogs 'unknown' ingredients. Tinned food is the simply the WORST type of food you can feed your dog, trust me. These big companies do NOT tell you the truth.
Put it this way, would you live on packets and tins of food and never any fresh meat fruit and veg? Of course you wouldn't because it's not good for you. So why do that to your animal?

Seriously, I am not scaremongering, I am simply telling you the truth. There should be no list of 'ingredients' it should be plain and simple and healthy.
bluechowchow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Marcella for your opinion.
I love to go Iceland for food shopping. I can get 10 sausages and a 4 pint ice cream bucket for a pound. This is gorgeous. Why spend more? My dogs are loving it as well.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
bluechowchow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Hi Marcella,

What do you mean?

Is it wrong to feed my dogs ice cream for a treat. They love it.
StuartW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed Google fresh goldfish every day.. he can't get enough of them.
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janis

I've heard of this before when I was researching changing my dogs to RAW as Dora's behavior was similar to that described when being fed all the E numbers and preservatives. I believe in healthy eating as a human and when I got my first dog Dora believed that pet food manufacturers must be animal lovers and produce good food for my dogs, what a fool I was I soon learned about IAMS from a colleague who is very into animal rights and against animal testing so I stayed clear of products made by them however I soon discovered that they are mostly all related and the ingredients are undefinable and un-sorceable so I was very happy when I heard about RAW feeding and the benefits my dogs would receive from it. The other main benefit which i think Bluechowchow would be interested in is that RAW feeding is cheaper than most well known pet foods I currently have two JRTS and for six weeks I pay just under £17 that works out at less than £2.80 a week for TWO dogs, my dogs love it their teeth are really clean so no need for denta chews or vets bills for teeth cleaning extraction etc, their coats are lovely and shiny, their weight is consistent and optimal for their breed and activity levels, they have lovely bright eyes and are very alert just the way they should be and their stools are very small and compact so much less hassle/yukkiness when having to poop a scoop! I really can't fault this diet in any way, I am not shoving it down anyones throat and feel each to their own just telling you my experience Very Happy

Lindy
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a woman on Dog Borstal the other week who fed her dog a tub of candy floss every day and the dog was twice it's body weight and facing certain death.

Her argument was "he likes it". Well of course he does - but if he'd never tasted it, how would he know or really care what it tasted like.

My dog gets his James Wellbeloved kibble and one treat a day of the same make, chicken or sausage for training and the odd bit of fruit and veg - and that's it. My mother-in-law keeps saying "Is he old enough for a biscuit" and takes huff that I won't let her give him a custard cream.

He doesn't know any better and doesn't bother us when we're eating and has never tried to rake the bin. He waits for his own dinner. And is a lean, mean, running machine like he's supposed to be.

We can put rubbish inside our bodies, that's our choice - but we can make better choices for them.

I don't suppose the smoked sausage is THAT great, but doesn't half work on a recall!
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a great believer in you are what you eat, it is definitely a personnel preference to suit you(purse) and your dog, but I do worry some times about things you read on the internet not only health issues for dogs but some of the things written about people, and what is and is not good for us, (Edwina Curry EGGS) I think everything in moderation is the key to healthy living, and the best you can afford.
but lets face it any one can write something on internet and claim to be an expert when he may or not be what he says he is, so I go with my instinct and on the condition of my boys, and myself....
Phoebe
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good dry foods on the market, but I don´t think the biggest company produces the best food! Iams / Eukanuba´s are doing terrible animal testings. Here is a very interesting Link about that!Link
Sony gets raw food (BARF) and she loves it!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus gets three meals of James Wellbeloved a day, plus weetabix with milk in the morning! This will eventually get cut down to two meals.

For training I am going to use tiny wee bits of cheese and chicken! I also use these to distract him when he is being brushed, as otherwise he just trys to kill me, lol!

When I leave him in the morning I give him a Kong with a liver snap in it!

Thats all he gets and I am keen to keep it that way. Some people gave us presents of puppy chews, but I read the back, and the chews are not for puppies under 4 months or 5kg! I was shocked! So once he hits that age/weight, he will get a chew maybe once or twice a week as a treat.

Do you guys think this sounds OK?! For various reasons I will not feed him RAW, sorry I know you guys are fans!

I read the article Janis, interesting but not enough references or 'proof' for me, it sounded a bit hysterical!
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluechowchow wrote:
Thanks a lot Marcella for your opinion.
I love to go Iceland for food shopping. I can get 10 sausages and a 4 pint ice cream bucket for a pound. This is gorgeous. Why spend more? My dogs are loving it as well.

Shocked are you for real? I am in grave danger of repeating myself, but for the benefit of those who have not endured.

What the hel is 'animal derivitives'? Go onto any pet aisle in the supermarket and read the ingredients on the food. Would you eat anything that said 'animal dervitives'? You could be getting any part of the animal. I appreciate alot of people are into offal and my nan was a great fan of tripe, and my grandad of chitlin and bag...but would I knowingly eat it???
It could have come from anything....in fact the animals used in mainstream pet foods are more likely to have come from diseased stock such as BSE infected animals, than any other food you will come across

I don't harbour the same naivety that the food industry, either for pets or humans are working in our best interests. Not when you consider that organisations like the world health organisation were set up by a convicted nazi!

I do not feed my kids any old rubbish I pick of the shelf in the supermarket, so why should I be less considerate of my furry friends?

Hello btw Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: